Job Opening - Georgia Forest Watch
Executive Director Position
Nestled in the foothills of the Appalachians Mountains, Georgia ForestWatch (www.gafw.org ) is the leading non-profit environmental organization dedicated to preserving, protecting and restoring the 867,000-acre Chattahoochee-Oconee National Forests.
We are currently looking for an Executive Director with a strong background in, and knowledge of, forest ecology, forestry, environmental sciences, watershed protection, or related fields, who can lead this prominent organization.
The primary role of the Executive Director is to provide leadership on environmental issues pertaining to the national forests in Georgia and watersheds therein, maintain funding and implement the annual budget, provide oversight on all programs, direct the implementation of the strategic plan, and supervise staff. The Executive Director reports directly to the GFW Board of Directors.
- Serve as a leading advocate, in coordination with volunteers, of sustainable forestry and sound forest ecology and watershed protection in the national forests of Georgia.
- Oversee the day-to-day administrative, financial management, and personnel needs of the organization.
- Maintain communications with GFW Board of Directors and implement its directives, including serving on committees as needed.
- Lead efforts to raise the annual budget to achieve the organization’s mission, goals and objectives.
- Identify, solicit and maintain funding sources and opportunities.
- Maintain working relationships with major donors and foundations as well as organizational members. Work with the Board to develop new relationships with major donors and foundations.
- Work with the GFW Fundraising Committee on recommending the annual budget for Board approval.
- Work with the GFW Directors and staff to develop and implement a strategic plan and operating budget to achieve Georgia ForestWatch mission, goals and objectives.
- Provide creativity, oversight, and guidance in all Georgia ForestWatch program areas supervising and coordinating staff efforts for achieving organizational goals as defined by the Strategic Plan.
- Prudently manage the organization’s resources within the guidelines set forth in the annual budget, the Georgia ForestWatch Risk Management Policy and current laws and regulations.
- Supervise and insure the professionalism and development of GFW staff within the guidelines set forth in the Georgia ForestWatch Personnel Policy and applicable laws and regulations.
- Maintain a high level of communication with the US Forest Service Regional Forest Supervisor and Deputy Forest Supervisor.
- Maintain and develop further relationships with TV, radio, print and internet media to ensure that key forest issues get adequate press coverage.
- Perform other duties as may be required to achieve Georgia ForestWatch’s goals and objectives.
Prefer a BS degree in forest ecology, forestry, the environmental sciences or related fields with 3-5 years experience. In lieu of degree, knowledge of and experience in environmental, ecology, forestry or conservation issues is highly desirable.
Candidates should be creative and goal oriented with demonstrated leadership abilities. They should have significant experience with staff, financial and administrative management of nonprofit organizations.
Experience in raising funds from public and private sector sources, including foundations, businesses, government sources, and individuals is required, as is membership development and retention.
Ability to work with multiple types of people – grassroots advocates, scientists, politicians, the press, funders, the board and other non-profit groups.
Skilled negotiator – ability to settle personal, political, and organizational disputes. Ability to stay focused on the mission and keep the staff and board engaged and moving forward.
Skilled communicator – good speaking and presentation skills; persuasion skills. Can lay out thoughts clearly and persuasively.
Project management skills desirable.
QUALIFIED candidates should email their resume with a cover letter and contact information for three references to - email@example.com or mail to -
Executive Director Position
15 Tower Rd.
Ellijay, GA 30540-2243